the simple and modular cms
What is Chaosportal?
Chaosportal is a CMS (Content managing System).
It's aims to be simple to install and manage, expandible with modules that can be easily
created by the community and automatically installed by the CMS itself.
It is the result of the refinement and optimization of two previous CMSs. In fact this is ChaosPortal II,
but ChaosPortal I was never publicly released as a project.
It's not secret that module and block concepts are taken from Drupal, that's an extremely good CMS, just
a bit too complex (read: difficult to build up modules) for my taste (or capabilities? ;-) ).
The following are the main features provided by ChaosPortal:
- Almost every data is a content.
- Content are searchable with a specific module. User can decide what kind of content is searchable.
- Modules can extend the CMD capabilities. In fact, every content is managed by modules.
- Users can be registered and can login into the CMS.
- Users can belong to one or more user groups.
- Site mantainer can decide which user groups can have what access to which modules.
- Links can be established between modules, allowing, for example, to add comments to content
managed by other news module (or rating to pictures, ...). The site mantainer decides what to link to what.
- Modules can be displayed in the area surrounding the main content page, and the site mantainer
has the tools to decide what to display in what area. This is the Drupal concept of blocks (I gave it the
same name too, in order to not to disorient who already knows Drupal and to remark that I took
this concept from Drupal itself).
- Site messages and content are multilanguage capable.
- Automatic language recognition (site is displayed, if possible, in the language selected in
- Every action is logged in a table.
- Revisoning system: every content can be stored in its every revision, allowing the modules to
retrieve the entire history.
- The modules available now are: html page, news, encrypted page, file uploads, comments (to be linked to
other modules as news or pages), structured pages (good to build knowledge base systems), site menu,
- Modules to be developed: site access statistics, weather forecasts, polls, user management,
site log analyzer and many others
- Features still to come (work in progress): user-level access rights (at the moment the mantainer can only
give rights to user groups), content-level access rights (at the moment the mantainer can give access just
basing on the content type)
Chaosportal is a web-based CMS (Content managing system). Thus, it requires a web server (Damn, I'd never
thought it! ;-) )
- Apache 2
- Php 5
- Mysql 5 (at the moment only mysql is supported, but the aim is to support PostgreSql and maybe Oracle).
- A database managing tool is very useful (for instance PhpMyAdmin).
Here are some sites made with Chaosportal:
- Museo diffuso del Grappa
This site has only an administration account to add content (mainly news and downloadable goodies).
Content is multilanguage.
The site is mantained by a government office, to promote a touristic area in Italy.
- Archivio fotostorico feltrino
This public administration site aims to promote a historic photographic archive.
Soon will be added a module to show the collections mantained by the archive.